Alexanderhöh

Names: 
Alexanderhöh
Alexandrhöh
Alexanderdorf
Alexander-Hey
Alexandrovka
Uralsk
Александрге
Александр-Гей
Александровка
Уральск
History: 

The daughter colony of Alexanderhöh originally consisted of two colonies located on opposite sides of the Nachoi River: Alexanderdorf and Höh. The Nachoi River is a branch of the Bolshoi Karaman River east of Mariental. Alexanderdorf was founded in 1848 by 19 families from the mother colonies of Schwed, Schäfer, Urbach, and Stahl am Karaman, among others.

Höh was founded in approximately 1860 by colonists from the mother colonies of Schwed, Stahl am Karaman, Rosenheim, Fischer, and Enders among others. During the early years, the names of the two colonies were combined into Alexanderhöh.

Immigration from Alexanderhöh to America began in 1877-1878.

Church: 

The colonists in Alexanderhöh were Lutheran, and a Lutheran church was constructed there in 1888. It was built in the Kontor style out of wood, and is reported to have been able to seat 800 parishners.       

The Lutheran congregation in Alexanderhöh is served by the resident pastor in nearby Weizenfeld.

Population: 
Year
Households
Population
Total
Male
Female
1850*
19
147
72
75
1857*
20
204
101
103
1883
 
1,124
 
 
1889
 
1,130
 
 
1894
 
 
 
 
1897
 
1,140**
576
564
1905
 
1,742
 
 
1910
229
2,141
1,047
1,094
1912
 
2,000
 
 
1920
308***
1,750
 
 
1922
 
1,340
 
 
1923
 
1,418
 
 
1926****
282
1,408
681
727
1931
 
1,824*****
 
 

*Alexanderdorf only (before the merger with Höh).
**Of whom 1,137 were German.
***Of which 304 households were German.
****Of whom, 1,393 (675 male &718 female) were German living in 278 households.
*****Of whom 1,805 were German.

Sources: 

- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Dietz, Jacob E. History of the Volga German Colonists. Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2005.
- Herdt, Karl. Die Namengebung zweier Woldadeutscher Dörfer, Alexanderdorf und Höh (Alexander-Höh): am Nachoistrom gelegen sowie Episoden aus dem damaligen Bauernleben und Skizzen aus der Steppentierwelt (Espelkamp: K. Herdt, 1983).
- Klaus, A.A. Our Colonies. Saint Petersburg, Russia, 1869.
- Koch, Fred C. The Volga Germans: In Russia and the Americas, from 1763 to the Present (University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977): 311.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.Schmidt, David F., Walnut Creek, California
- Schnurr, Joseph, Die Kirchen und das Religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen - Evangelischer Teil (Stuttgart: Landsmannschaft der Deutschen aus Russland, 1972).
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 16.

Map showing Alexanderhöh (1935).

Alexanderhöh Lutheran Church.
Source: Heimatbuch der Deutschen aus Rußland, 1972.

Map of Alexanderhöh (1926)
Source: Die Namengebung zweier Wolgadeutscher Dörfer, 1983.

Map of Colonies along the Nachoi River (1860)
Source: Die Namengebung zweier Wolgadeutscher Dörfer, 1983 (p.14).