Dehler

Names: 
Beresovka
Beresowka
Berezovka
Dehler
Deller
Teller
Berjosowka
Березовка
Деллер
Теллер
Daughter Colonies: 
History: 

The Volga German colony of Dehler was founded on 1 July 1767 by 55 families recruited by LeRoi & Pictet from the Pfalz, France, and Mainz. The colony was named in honor of its first mayor (Vorsteher), Johannes Dehler. It was located along the Berezovlka River, from which it took its Russian name, about 40 kilometers south of Pokrovsk (Engels).

In 1774, Dehler was plundered by the raiders supporting the Pugachev rebellion.

Between 1912 and 1914, approximately 100 colonists departed for America.  During the 1921 famine, 232 residents of Dehler died.  In 1929, more than 100 residents were identified by the Bolshevik authorities as kulaks (rich people) and arrested.

Today, what remains of the former Volga German colony of Dehler is known as Berezovka.

Church: 

The original colonist of Dehler were mostly Roman Catholic.  Beginning in 1894, following the building of a new wooden church, Dehler became part of the Brabander parish.

The church was closed in 1931 and the building was converted into a community center and dance hall. Today, nothing remains of the former church structure.

Pastors & Priests: 

The parish in Dehler was served by the following priests:

  • Gottlieb Beratz (1894-1909)
  • Johannes Zimmermann (1913-1918)
  • Robert Glassner (1928-1931)
Surnames: 
Population: 
Year
Households
Population
Total
Male
Female
1767
55
171
85
86
1769
36
154
79
75
1773
39
150
71
79
1788
 
190
 
 
1798
 
249
 
 
1816
 
430
 
 
1834
 
756
 
 
1850
 
1,057
 
 
1857
 
 
 
 
1859
 
1,332
 
 
1889
 
1,488
 
 
1897
 
1,811*
961
850
1910
 
2,392
 
 
1912
 
3,062
 
 
1920
370
2,515
 
 
1922
 
2,102
 
 
1926
383
2,132**
1,011
1,121
1931
 
2,214
 
 

*Of whom 1,800 were German.
**Of whom 2,127 were German (381 households: 1,010 male & 1,117 women).

Sources: 

- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 349.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- The German Settlements in the USSR before 1941 [in Russian] (Moscow, 2002): 101.
- Hagin, Matthias. "Dehler: Ein Wolgadeutsche Siedlung." Heimatbuch der Landsmannschaft der Deutsche aus Russland (1966): 74-91.  [online]
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 609.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 267-278.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Joseph Schnurr, Die Kirchen und das Religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen, Katholischer Teil (Stuttgart, 1980), p. 247.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 16.

Map showing Dehler (1769).

Latitude: 49.704444
Longitude: 8.248056
Latitude: 49.384375
Longitude: 8.299345

Immigration Locations