Hussenbach

Names: 
Hussenbach
Linevo Osero
Linevo Ozero
Linjowo Osero
Ustenbach
Гуссенбах
Линево Озеро
Linevo
Linyevo
Устенбах
Линев
Daughter Colonies: 
History: 

Hussenbach was founded along the Medvidetsa River as a Lutheran colony on 16 May 1767 by the Crown. The original 118 founding colonists came from Brandenburg, Saxony, Darmstadt, and the Palatinate. Hussenbach was named after the first leader of the colonists.       

On the afternoon of 27 July 1896, a group of 7-8 year-old children were playing in the yard of Heinrich Sippel while the adults were working in the fields. At some point a fire was lit in the yard. The high winds fanned the flames which quickly spread to neighboring yards. By the time the fires were extinguished, 273 homes had been destroyed along with the church and numerous businesses.

On 18 March 1918, Sexton Niesen from Hussenbach sent a letter to the United States asking for people to write back. He gave a list of places where people from Hussenbach were living in the United States. Places he listed were Elliot and Lisbon in North Dakota; Minnesota; Rocky Ford, Colorado; Portland, Oregon; and Walla Walla, Washington.

Today, the former colony of Hussenbach is known as Linyevo

Church: 

In 1885, a new church was constructed in Hussenbach in the Kontor Style. It was destroyed during the fire on 17 July 1896.  A new church was constructed and was still standing well into the 1960s. Today nothing remains of the church building.

Pastors & Priests: 

The congregation in Hussenbach was served by the following pastors:

  • 1768-1770 Johann Friedrich Mittelstädt
  • 1771-1776 Johann Friedrich Heitzig
  • 1778-1782 Laurentius Ahlbaum
  • 1782-1786 Samuel Traugott Büttner
  • 1788-1817 Franz August Flittner
  • 1818-1820 David Flittner
  • 1820-1837 Franz Hölz
  • 1838-1868 Jakob Würthner
  • 1868-1878 Ernest Theophil David
  • 1879-1882 Samuel Dittrich
  • 1884-1901 Karl Rudolph Roos
  • 1901-1914 Michael Somelt
  • 1917-1920 Arthur Julius Kluck
  • 1926-1930 Konrad Staab
Population: 
Year
Households
Population
Total
Male
Female
1767
 
 
 
 
1769
118
438
240
198
1773
115
525
282
243
1788
109
701
359
342
1798
140
910
471
436
1816
180
1,397
694
703
1834
276
2,305
1,170
1,135
1850
289
3,062
1,551
1,511
1857
358
3,578
1,757
1,821
1859
 
3,678
 
 
1886
562
4,380
2,241
2,139
1891
525
6,143
3,141
3,002
1894
537
 
 
 
1897
 
4,661*
2,340
2,321
1905
 
7,350
 
 
1911
 
8,198
 
 
1912
 
8,080
 
 
1920
748**
6,783
 
 
1922
 
6,554
 
 
1923
 
6,400
 
 
1926***
1,036
6,774
3,309
3,465
1931
 
7,287****
 
 
1939
 
7,137
 
 

*Of whom 4,657 are German.
**Of which 746 households were German.
***Of whom 6,727 are German (1,017 households: 3,284 male & 3,443 female).
****Of whom 7,274 are German.

Sources: 

- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 350.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Mink, A.N. Historical and Geographical Dictionary of the Saratov Province [in Russian] (Saratov, Russia, 1898): 569-572.
- Neisen, Sexton. "Who will Write? Who Says 'Yes", Die Welt-Post (Lincoln, NE: 22 April 1926): 5.
- Orlov, Gregorii. Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II, 14 February 1769.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 623.
- Pleve, Igor R. The German Colonies on the Volga: The Second Half of the Eighteenth Century, translated by Richard Rye (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2001): 318.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 18.

Map showing Hussenbach (1935).

Drawing of the Hussenbach Lutheran Church that was built in 1885 and destroyed by fire in 1896.
Source: Heimatbuch der Deutschen aus Russland, 1972.

Lutheran Church (built in 1885).
Source: "Немцы Поволжья" website.

Hussenbach Church (July 1935).
Source: Familienarchiv of W. Schäfer.

Hussenbach Lutheran Church (ca.1900).
Photo courtesy of Elena Sirotkina.

Hussenbach Lutheran Church (1937).

Hussenbach Church - used as a Community Center (1960s)
Source: Jorge Bohn.

In the background is Hussenbach's former Lutheran Church (1960s).
Source: Andrei Fetisov.

Map of Hussenbach (1940).
Source: wolgadeutsche.net

Cannery under construction in Hussenbach (1933).
Source: Arthur Staff.

House in Hussenbach (2009).
Former home of G. Schwarz Family, built in 1902.
Source: Georgi Spach

Latitude: 49.820278
Longitude: 9.257222
Latitude: 50.604219
Longitude: 9.147567
Latitude: 50.716667
Longitude: 9.216667
Latitude: 49.472870
Longitude: 8.654302
Latitude: 48.711856
Longitude: 9.258046
Latitude: 49.794579
Longitude: 7.561618
Latitude: 50.592778
Longitude: 8.856389
Latitude: 48.570000
Longitude: 7.843889
Latitude: 49.813163
Longitude: 9.039460
Latitude: 48.566192
Longitude: 7.870432
Latitude: 49.509595
Longitude: 8.179546
Latitude: 50.607778
Longitude: 9.225000
Latitude: 50.266667
Longitude: 9.083333
Latitude: 50.476699
Longitude: 7.592774
Latitude: 49.650939
Longitude: 8.124040

Immigration Locations