Kind

Names: 
Baskakovka
Baskatovka
Gorelova
Kind
Баскаковка
Горелова
Кинд
History: 

Kind was founded on 3 August 1767 by Baron Caneau de Beauregard as a Lutheran colony by settlers who came most from Hesse. However, according to Dietz, the original settlers of Kind spent the first winter in other colonies and moved to Kind in 1768.       

The colony was named Kind after the leader of the group who first settled there. It was given its official Russian name (Baskakovka) in honor of the vice-president of the Office of Immigrant Oversight who bore that name.       

There was a parochial school in Kind, and by 1862 it had 171 students and one teacher.

Today, what remains of the colony of Kind is known as Baskatovka.

Church: 

The congregation in Kind belonged to the parish of Bettinger until 1820 when it became part of a new parish with its headquarters in nearby Näb.       

The first known dedicated church building in Kind was constructed of wood in 1808. It was 48 feet long and 24 feet wide. This facility was replaced by a new wooden building in 1875. It was built in the Kontora style on the same foundation as the old structure and had seating for 1,200 people and an organ.

Population: 
Year
Households
Population
Total
Male
Female
1767
 
 
 
 
1769
39
131
70
61
1773
35
140
75
65
1788
24
137
80
57
1798
48
166
85
81
1816
41
290
152
138
1834
63
502
261
241
1850
91
815
428
387
1857
89
964
497
467
1859
 
 
 
 
1886
 
 
 
 
1891
 
 
 
 
1894
 
 
 
 
1897
 
1,592
799
793
1904
 
 
 
 
1910
251
2,847
1,466
1,381
1912
 
2,890
 
 
1920
347
2,314
 
 
1926*
277
1,717
846
871

*Of those, 274 households consisting of 1,711 people (841 male & 870 female) were German.

Sources: 

- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 350.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Dietz, Jacob E. History of the Volga German Colonists. Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2005.Klaus, A.A. Our Colonies (Saint Petersburg, Russia, 1869): 52-53.
- List of the Populated Places of the Samara Province (Samara, Russia, 1910): 292.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 613.
- Preliminary Totals of the All-Union Population Census of 1926 of the ASSR of the Germans of Volga Region (Pokrovsk, Russia, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 16.

Map showing Kind (1935).

Lutheran Church in Kind (built in 1875).
Source: Bill Pickelhaupt.

Langolf Creamery rendering.
Source: wolgadeutsche.net

Langolf Creamery rendering (facade).
Source: wolgadeutsche.net

Langolf Creamery (today).
Source: Bill Pickelhaupt.

Volga German building in Kind, constructed in 1904.
Source: Bill Pickelhaupt.

Building constructed in 1907.
Currently the Primary School in Kind.
Source: Bill Pickelhaupt

Volga German house in Kind.
Source: Irina Gray

Latitude: 50.563889
Longitude: 7.972500
Latitude: 49.725001
Longitude: 8.610976
Latitude: 49.725001
Longitude: 8.610976
Latitude: 50.346122
Longitude: 8.897225
Latitude: 50.649722
Longitude: 8.704444
Latitude: 49.684615
Longitude: 8.669778
Latitude: 49.684615
Longitude: 8.669778
Latitude: 49.684615
Longitude: 8.669778
Latitude: 50.367267
Longitude: 8.739391
Latitude: 49.563044
Longitude: 8.708351

Immigration Locations