Laub

Names: 
Chkalovsk
Chkalovskoye
Laub
Tarlik
Tarlyk
Weidenfeld
Вейденфельд
Лауб
Ляуб
Тарлык
Чкаловское
History: 

Laub was founded as a Lutheran colony on 12 July 1767 by LeRoy & Pictet.

Today, what remains of the former colony of Laub is known as Chkalovskoye.

Church: 

The congregation in Laub was part of the Warenburg Lutheran Parish which had been established in 1770.

Pastors & Priests: 

The congregation in Laub was served by the following pastors:

  • 1785-1788 Friedrich Konrad Strengel
  • 1797-1825 Bernhard Wilhelm Litfass
  • 1826-1833 Friedrich August Wilhelm Schrötter
  • 1834-1883 Franz Karl Hölz
  • 1891-1891 Karl Julius Hölz
  • 1883-1909 Karl Leopold Hölz
  • 1909-1918 Eduard Seib
  • 1909-1912 Andreas Gorne
  • 1929-1931 Herbert Julius Günther
Population: 
Year
Households
Population
Total
Male
Female
1767
68
201
 
 
1769
61
193
106
87
1773
56
219
116
103
1788
 
271
 
 
1798
 
369
 
 
1816
 
533
 
 
1834
 
927
 
 
1850
180
1,536
751
785
1857
201
1,770
903
867
1859
 
1,811
 
 
1889
 
2,105
 
 
1891
 
 
 
 
1894
 
 
 
 
1897
 
2,252*
1,126
1,126
1904
 
3,143
 
 
1910
 
3,750
 
 
1912
 
3,821
 
 
1920
374
2,948
 
 
1922
 
1,849
 
 
1923
 
1,857
 
 
1926**
373
1,884
894
990
1931
 
2,460***
 
 

*Of whom 2,230 were German.
**Of whom 1,775 were German (368 households: 889 male & 986 female).
***Of whom 2,440 were German.

Sources: 

- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 351.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Orlov, Gregorii. Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II, 14 February 1769.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 609.
- Pleve, Igor R. The German Colonies on the Volga: The Second Half of the Eighteenth Century, translated by Richard Rye (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2001): 319.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Schnurr, Joseph. Die Kirchen und das religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen – Evangelischer Teil (Stuttgart: AER Verlag Landsmannschaft der Deutschen aus Rußland, 1978): 348.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 17.

Map showing Laub (1935).

Former Laub church (August 2003), identified by the current villagers, who said the top of the church (steeple?) had been cut off. Based upon the shape and style of this building, it is more likely that it is the former school.  It is now being used as a grainary.
Source: Sharon White.

German house in Laub (August 2003).
Source: Sharon White.

Latitude: 49.711056
Longitude: 8.694320
Latitude: 49.858333
Longitude: 8.755556
Latitude: 49.858333
Longitude: 8.755556
Latitude: 49.858333
Longitude: 8.755556
Latitude: 49.831219
Longitude: 8.745007
Latitude: 49.845996
Longitude: 8.791401
Latitude: 49.800476
Longitude: 8.823767

Immigration Locations