Neu-Warenburg

Names: 
Neu-Warenburg
Novoye-Privalnoye
Mother Colonies: 
History: 

Neu-Warenburg was founded in 1902 on the left bank of the Volga River, 75 kilometers south of Engels, just north of Seelmann.

The construction of the Volgograd Hydroelectric Power Station in 1961 created the Volga Reservior. As a result, Neu-Warenburg is now on the bluff directly above the Volga River. The main road was relocated to the east side of the village.

Church: 

Neu-Warenburg was founded as a Lutheran colony.

Population: 
Year
Households
Population
Total
Male
Female
1897
 
840
 
 
1910
 
873
 
 
1920
123
727
 
 
1922
 
532
 
 
1923
 
534
 
 
1926*
119
604
280
324
1931
 
883
 
 

*Of whom 602 were German (118 households: 278 male & 324 female).

Sources: 

- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Koch, Fred C. The Volga Germans: In Russia and the Americas, from 1763 to the Present (University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1977): 313.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.

Map showing Neu-Warenburg (1935).

Several maps overlaid to show the inundation of the Volga River following the construction of the Volgograd Dam.

Immigration Locations