Schöntal

Names: 
Dolina
Schöntal
Schönthal
History: 

Schöntal (Pleasant Valley) was a Lutheran colony located on the Jeruslan River about 60 miles southeast of Saratov. It was founded in 1856 by settlers from Yagodnaya Polyana and 162 settlers from Pobochnaya added to the population in 1857.

Little remains of Schöntal. It is now called Dolina and is merged with Neu-Yagodnaya-Polyana.

Church: 

The Lutheran parish in Schöntal was founded in 1864 as an independent parish with a resident pastor. Schöntal served as the lead parish for four surrounding congregations.

Notable Individuals: 
Surnames: 
Population: 
Year
Households
Population
Total
Male
Female
1857
 
 
 
 
1859
 
873
 
 
1883
 
1,453
 
 
1889
 
1,652
 
 
1897
 
2,037*
1,019
1,018
1905
 
2,728
 
 
1910
 
2,897
 
 
1920
385
2,573
 
 
1922
 
1,990
 
 
1923
 
1,708
 
 
1926**
366
1,981
981
1,000
1931
 
2,498***
 
 

*Of whom 1,996 were German.
**Of whom 1,956 were German (355 households: 966 male & 990 female).
***Of whom 2,444 were German.

Sources: 

- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- German Settlements in the Years 1917-1941 [in Russian] (wolgadeutsche.net)
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- Schnurr, Joseph. Die Kirchen und das religiöse Leben der Russlanddeutschen – Evangelischer Teil (Stuttgart: AER Verlag Landsmannschaft der Deutschen aus Rußland, 1978): 197.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 17.

Map showing Schöntal (1935).

Photo of the church in Schöntal.
Source: Jorge Bohn.

Latitude: 50.417664
Longitude: 9.098934
Latitude: 49.800000
Longitude: 9.000000