Stahl am Tarlyk

Names: 
Lopatino
Stahl am Tarlyk
Stepnaya
Stepnoye
Stepnoje
Шталь ам Тарлык
Степное
Лопатино
History: 

Stahl am Tarlyk was founded on 13 August 1767 by LeRoy & Pictet as a Lutheran colony on the banks of the Tarlyk River where it fed into the Volga River. The creation of the Volga Reservoir also brought about the disappearance of the Tarlyk River at this location.

The construction of the Volgograd (formerly Stalingrad) Hydroelectric Power Station from 1950-1961 created the Volgo Reservoir which flooded several Volga German colonies including the former Stahl am Tarlyk. A new village was constructed on higher ground just to the east of the former colony.  What remains of the former colony of Stahl am Tarlyk is in the floodplain of the Volga River today.  Some of the buildings constructed by the Volga Germans were moved to the new location on the bluff above the river.

Church: 

The congregation in Stahl am Tarlyk was part of the Warenburg Lutheran Parish which had been established in 1770. A new church was constructed in 1834 in the Kontor Style.

Pastors & Priests: 

The congregation in Stahl am Tarlyk was served by the following pastors:

  • 1785-1788 Friedrich Konrad Strengel
  • 1797-1825 Bernhard Wilhelm Litfass
Surnames: 
Bessinger (Reichenbach, Kr. Odenwald, Hessen)
Helmuth (Heiliggest & Wieblingen, Württemberg)
Saalfeld (Gießen, Kr. Gießen, Hessen)
Sinner (Rinderbügen, Kr. Wetterau, Hessen)
Population: 
 
Year
Households
Population
Total
Male
Female
1767
76
208
 
 
1769
63
198
96
102
1773
58
188
90
98
1788
 
235
 
 
1798
 
320
 
 
1816
 
480
 
 
1834
 
798
 
 
1850
 
1,195
 
 
1857
 
 
 
 
1859
 
1,538
 
 
1889
 
2,487
 
 
1897*
 
2,447
1,211
1,236
1910
 
3,640
 
 
1912
 
4,095
 
 
1920
462**
2,770
 
 
1922
 
2,076
 
 
1923
 
2,150
 
 
1926***
498
2,432
1,203
1,229
1931
 
2,402
 
 

*Of whom 2,425 were German.
**Of which 452 households were German.
***Of whom 2,400 were German (486 households: 1,187 male & 1,213 female).

Sources: 

- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 353.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Orlov, Gregorii. Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II, 14 February 1769.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 609.
- Pleve, Igor R. The German Colonies on the Volga: The Second Half of the Eighteenth Century, translated by Richard Rye (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2001): 319.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 17.

Map showing Stahl am Tarlyk (1935).

Stahl am Tarlyk Church built in 1834.
Source: Volksfreund Kalender, 1911.

Stahl am Tarlyk panorama.

Satellite image showing the former (now partially flooded) location of Stahl am Tarlyk, along with the newer village on higher ground to the right.
Source: Vladimir Kakorin.

Latitude: 49.711056
Longitude: 8.694320
Latitude: 50.652052
Longitude: 9.162438
Latitude: 0.000000
Longitude: 0.000000
Latitude: 50.584051
Longitude: 8.678403

Immigration Locations