Salto, Diamente Departamento, Entre Ríos Province
Assigned to Farm No. 78 along Salt Creek (Arroyo Salto), Santa Cruz was founded in 21 July 1878 along with Valle Maria, Spatzenkutter, General Alvear, and Protestante. There were originally 154 settlers organized into 28 households in Santa Cruz. Today the village is known as Salto, after the creek. The following families, from the colony of Köhler, have been identified as founding families: Beim Beillinder Diehl Dietrich Dietz Dumrauf Freiberger Gareis Geist Gebhart Hammerschmidt Kirchgesner Macht Marsch Pretz Ruhl Ruppel Schneider Siebel Ulrich Weinzettel Zorn The following individuals are also identified in early records: Gareis, Bárbara née Schonfeld Kisner, Juliana Rolheiser, Mariana Klein, Franz (Francisco) Gareis, Valentín Gareis, Andreas (Andrés) Gareis, Joseph (José) Gareis, Johannes (Juan) Leineker Bawmann Prescher, Peter (Pedro) Ruhl, Adam (Adán) Gebhart, Joseph (José) Müller Weinzettel Sommer Hasenauer, Joseph (José) Maylaka, Friedrich (Federico) Lehl
Originally the church was called Iglesia Santa Cruz. In 1913, the name was changed to Iglesia San Miguel Arcángel. It was established by the Jesuit Order in 1888.
Coming soon . . .
1881 Census of Salto (Jorge L. Guttig)