Bashaw began as a rural area called South Red Deer Lake, and Volga German settlers (among other German groups) began settling in the are in the mid 1890s.
In 1910, the Grand Trunk Railway Company built a line of the C.P.R. through the area that connected Edmonton and Calgary. A number of new towns sprang up along this line, and one of them was the town of Bashaw.
The following Volga German families are known to have lived in and around Bashaw:
Scheuerman from Yagodnaya Polyana
- Bashaw Cemetery (findagrave.com)