Stony Plain, Alberta

Names: 
Stony Plain, Alberta
History: 

In 1892 the area was known as Dog Rump Creek until a post office was named for the region and it became Stony Plain. Stony Plain was officially incorporated as a town in 1908.

Volga German immigrants from Norka began arriving in the Stony Plain area in 1889.

Volga German Families: 

The following Volga German families are known to have settled in and around Stony Plain:

Albrecht from Norka
Bauer
Becker
Dering
Feuerstein from Norka
Giebelhaus from Norka
Hartwig
Henkel / Hinkel
Kaiser
Kniss
Miller from Norka
Sauer
Scheidemann from Norka
Schlitt / Schlidt from Norka
Schnell from Norka
Schwindt from Norka
Sinner
Spady from Norka
Troudt
Vogt
Web(b)er from Norka
Weitzel from Norka
Witmer
Wolf(e) from Norka
Yost from Norka
Zeiler
Ziegler

Volga Colonies: 
Sources: 

- Bauer, Reuben A. One of Many (Edmonton, Alberta: Imprimerie La Survivance Printing Ltd., 1965): 45-54.
- Prokop, Manfred. The Settlement of Immigrants of German Origin in Northern Alberta from the 1880's to the 1910's: A Fact Book (2013): 25.
- Stony Plain (Glory Hills District), Alberta (Steve Schreiber)

Volga Colonies

Latitude: 50.287156
Longitude: 8.844207
Latitude: 50.287156
Longitude: 8.844207