Sverdlovsk, Sverdlovsk Oblast, Siberia
Yekaterinburg, alternatively spelled as Ekaterinburg, was founded on 18 November 1723. It was named after Catherine, Peter the Great's wife.
In 1924, the name was changed to Sverdlovsk after the Communist party leader Yakov Sverdlov. In 1991, the name was changed back to Yekaterinburg.
After the deportation of the Volga Germans in 1941, many Volga German families moved to the city of Sverdlovsk.
The following Volga German families are known to have settled in and around Sverdlovsk:
Dieser from Josefstal
Kindsvater from Dietel
Krening from Walter