Marion, Marion Co., Kansas

Names: 
Marion, Marion Co., Kansas
History: 

The town of Marion was incorporated in 1875, shortly before the first Volga German families began arriving.

Surnames: 
Volga German Families: 

The following Volga German families are known to have settled in and around Marion:

Bechthold
Beisel
Blehm from Shcherbakovka
Bretthauer
Brunner
Dahlinger
Ehrlich from Shcherbakovka
Friesorger
Grünemeier
Herbel
Hill
Kammerzell from Frank
Klein
Ladner
Laubhan
Mehlinger
Meier
Riffel
Roth
Ruff
Sauer
Scheibel
Schimpf
Schlotthauer from Huck
Schmidt
Seibel
Socolofsky from Dreispitz
Stenzel
Stoll
Suppes from Hussenbach
Wunsch from Galka

Sources: 

Declaration of Intentions filed in Marion Co., Kansas (Janet Flickenger)

Plat map of Marion (1910).
Source: Marion Co. Historical Society.

One of the flour mills operated by Jacob and Johannes Ehrlich. In the year following their arrival from Russia in 1875, Johannes built a mill on the west edge of Marion. He sold it in 1910, but the brothers purchased a mill one mile south of Marion on the Cottonwood River. They continued in business for 50 years.
Source: Betty Richmond.

Business of John Ehrlich's Sons in Marion. The building was constructed in 1877.
Source: Marion Co. Historical Society.

Volga Colonies

Latitude: 50.476699
Longitude: 7.592774