Alliance, Box Butte Co., Nebraska

Names: 
Alliance, Box Butte Co., Nebraska
History: 

The town was originally named Grand Lake. When the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad came to Grand Lake in 1888, the railroad superintendent, G.W. Holdrege, wanted to change it to a simple one-word name closer to the beginning of the alphabet, which he thought would be better for business. He picked "Alliance" for the new name of the town. It was incorporated as a city in 1891.       

Many Volga German families moved to Alliance to work for the railroad.

Volga German Families: 

The following Volga German families are known to have settled in and around Alliance:

Bangert
Bastron / Bostron
Batt
Bauer
Becker
Behm
Benzel
Brehm
Debus
Ebel
Eberly
Fiebig
Fritzler from Grimm
Gantz
Hein from Frank
Her(r)man(n)
Kammerzell from Frank
Kautz
Koch
Kraft
Krenzer
Lehl
Libsack
Lohmeyer
Martin
Miller
Nuss
Pauli / Pauly from Norka
Reisig
Romick from Grimm
Schlotthauer from Huck
Schmer
Schnell from Norka
Schwindt from Norka
Specht
Vogel
Wacker / Walker from Norka
Weitzel from Frank

Volga Colonies: 
Resources: 

- Alliance (Greenwood) Cemetery (findagrave.com)

Volga Colonies

Latitude: 50.616389
Longitude: 8.968889
Latitude: 50.476699
Longitude: 7.592774
Latitude: 50.485017
Longitude: 9.348837