Johannes Bauer was born 26 October 1719 in Nieder-Kinzig. He married 3 November 1740 in Höchst im Odenwald to Elisabeth Katharina Schmidt.
They arrived in Russia with five children: Anna Margaretha, born 6 Dec 1747 in Ober-Kinzg, Johann Jacob, born 14 Aug 1750 in Pfirschbach, Johann Georg, Anna Sophia, and Eva Margaretha, born 27 Jan in 1761. One of their older children, Katharina Elisabeth Bauer, born 24 Jan 1744 in Pfirschbach, was married to Johanes Schork, and also immigrated to Russia.
They immigrated to Russia along with many families from Höchst and the surrounding villages, arriving from Lübeck at the port in Oranienbaum aboard the Russian galliot Citadel on 13 September 1766. They settled in the Volga German colony of Frank on 1 September 1767, and are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 96.
Widow Katharina Bauer is still living in 1798, recorded on the Frank Census in Household No. Fk087.
- Gieg, Ella. Auswanderung aus dem Odenwaldkreis Band 5 (Lutzelbach, Germany: Gieg, 1988): 256.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999).
- Parish records of Höchst (LDS Film Nos. 1193268 & 1193269).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 434.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): 334.
Edward F. Wagner