There are multiple lineages of the Klein (some sources Kleim) family that settled in Frank. Although they are all related, only those from Södel and Trais an der Horloff have been completed.
Johann Philipp Klein, son of Johann Ernst Klein & Anna Elisabetha Ries, was baptized in Södel (today in Kreis Friedberg) on 30 May 1719. He married there on 17 November 1746 to Anna Elisabeth Raab, daughter of Johannes Raab & Maria Elisabetha Krafft, who was born 4 March 1725 in Trais an der Horloff.
Philipp & Elisabeth Klein had the following children: Anna Clara (b. 19 Nov. 1747; d. 1 Dec. 1747), Johann Adam (b. 15 Mar. 1749), Anna Elisabeth (b.29 Sep.1751; d.2 Dec.1751), Anna Christina (b. 17 Mar 1753), Johannes (b. 20 Nov. 1755; d. 2 Sep. 1757), Maria Catharina (b. 9 Jan 1760), Johann Henrich (b. 30 Apr. 1761), and Magdalena (b. 20 Jul. 1764).
Philipp and his family arrived in Oranienbaum on 14 September 1766 aboard the galliot Der Jan from Lübeck under the command of Skipper Markus Dragun. Elisabeth evidently died on the trip to the Volga area. The family arrived in 1767 in the colony of Frank and are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 67 (Philipp and his new wife Christina Dorothea along with the younger children) and Household No. 81 (oldest son Adam & his family).
- Meyer, Herbert. Die Familien - Chronik Södel - Band 2 (Södel, 2002).
- Müller, Hanno. Familienbuch Trais-Horloff, Inheiden, Utphe (Fernwald-Steinbach: Hanno Müller, 1997): 210 & 314.
- Parish records of Nieder-Wöllstadt.
- Parish records of Södel.
- Parish records of Trais an der Horloff.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 429 & 431.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): 330 & 359.
Edward F. Wagner