Johann Heinrich Raab, son of Luther [per Bonner] Anton [per Decker] Raab & Anna Elisabeth Reichard, was baptized in Düdelsheim on 29 May 1735. He married in Büdingen on 14 April 1766 to Magdalena Reibert from Mochstadt.
They immigrated to Russia, arriving in the Volga German colony of Balzer on 18 July 1767. They are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 49.
The Raab and Ochsenhirt (Messer) families are first cousins, as their mothers (née Reichard) are sisters.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999).
- Mai, Brent Alan, trans. & ed. Transport of the Volga Germans from Oranienbaum to the Colonies on the Volga: 1766-1767 (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1998): Entries 6379-6380.
- Müller, Hanno. Familienbuch Trais-Horloff, Inheiden, Utphe, Kreis Giessen (Darmstadt: Hessische Familiengeschichtliche Vereinigung, 1997): 322.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 225.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): 359.