Three Schneider families came from the village of Herbstein, between Giessen and Fulda. Their relationship to each other is not known at this time.
Lorenz Schneider was born about 1723 and married on 23 May 1746 in Herbstein to Catharina Elisabetha Staubach. Their children, each born in Herbstein, were: (1) Johann Mattheaus, born 7 July 1747; (2) Johann Paul, born 27 August 1748; (3) Johann Heinrich, born 7 January 1757; and (4) Maria Ursula, born 23 December 1761. The oldest son did not make the trip to Russia.
Nicolaus Schneider was born about 1740. He married Elisabeth and had one known son, Johann Wilhelm who was born in 1761.
Valentin Schneider was born about 1742. He married Barbara Hein who had been born about 1743.
All three of these Schneider families immigrated to Russia, arriving from Lübeck at the port in Oranienbaum on 13 September 1766 aboard the hooker Die Junger Dietrika under the command of skipper Christian Korsholm.
The Lorenz & Valentin Schneider families arrived in Köhler on 21 August 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Households No. 4 & No. 31, respectively. Johann Paul, son of Lorenz, is recorded in 1798 in Köhler in Household No. Kl44. Valentin Schneider and his family are also recorded there in 1798 in Household No. Kl87.
Nicolaus Schneider and his family arrived on the Volga on 3 August 1767 and are recorded among the colonists of Beauregard on the 1767 Census, pending settlement to a final colony. It is not known in which colony they eventually settled.
- Gieg, Bd. 1.
- Mai, Brent Alan. <em>1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture</em> (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999).
- Mai, Brent Alan, trans. & ed. <em>Transport of the Volga Germans from Oranienbaum to the Colonies on the Volga: 1766-1767</em> (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1998): Entries 7212 and 7213.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt, <em>German Migration to the Russian Volga (1764-1767)</em> (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): 79.
- Pleve, Igor. <em>Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767</em> Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 435.
- Pleve, Igor. <em>Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg</em> (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): 331.