Uhrich / Urich / Urig (Frank & Schwab)
There are a couple of Uhrich families from Groß-Umstadt that immigrated to Russia:
(1) Johann Bernhard Urig (Uhrich) was born 26 January 1748 in Groß-Umstadt, Hessen (Germany). He is the son of Bernhardt Urig and Anna Margaretha Weber. Johann Bernhard Urich arrived in Frank on 1 September 1767 and is recorded on the 1767 census there in Household #117.
(2) Johann Friedrich Uhrich, a son of Johannes Uhrich & Anna Justina Weber, was born on 12 February 1736, and baptized on 14 February 1736 in the Evangelical Reformed church in Groß-Umstadt, 23 kilometers east of Darmstadt. Johann Friedrich married to Anna Barbara (surname unknown), and they immigrated to Russia, along with his mother Anna Justina. They departed from the port of Lübeck by a Russian ship under the command of Lieutenant Samuel Gibbs and arrived in Oranienbaum, Russia, on 31 July 1766. Johann Friedrich Uhrich and his wife arrived in the Volga German colony of Schwab on 12 September 1767, and are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 33. Widow Anna Barbara & son Johann Heinrich are still living in Schwab at the time of the 1798 Census, recorded in Household No. Sb36.
Surname spellings used by the descendants of this family include Uhrich, Urich, and Urig.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999).
- Parish records of Gross-Umstadt (LDS Film No. 1340315).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 439.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Nordost-Institut, 2008): 134.
- Pleve, Igor. List of Colonists to Russia in 1766 "Reports by Ivan Kulberg" (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): 193.
- Pleve, Igor. Uhrich Chart.