Straub

Names: 
Alt-Straub
Skatovka
Skatowka
Straub
Wiesental
Альт-Штрауб
Визенталь
Скатовка
Штрауб
Scatowka
Daughter Colonies: 
History: 

Straub was founded on 12 May 1767 by 59 colonist families recruited by LeRoy & Pictet from Weilburg, Braunfels, Isenburg, and Hanau. It was located on the left bank of the Volga River about 55 kilometers south of Pokrovsk (Engels). It was named in honor of its first leader, Johann Heinrich Straub.

Straub was plundered in 1774 by Pugachev and his followers.

The Volga German colonists were deported from Straub in 1941.  The colony was relocated to higher ground in on the bluf above the Volga River in anticipation of the inundation of the Volga Reservoir that was created by the construction of the Volgograd Hydroelectric Power Station which was completed in 1961. The former location is now mostly on an island in the Volga River.

Many of the buildings constructed by the Volga Germans were moved to the village's new location.

What remains of the former Volga German colony of Straub, now in its new location, is known as Skatovka.

Church: 

The congregation in Straub was part of the Warenburg Lutheran Parish which had been established in 1770.

A new church was constructed in Straub in 1875 in the Kontor style.

Pastors & Priests: 

The congregation in Straub was served by the following pastors:

  • 1785-1788 Friedrich Konrad Strengel
  • 1797-1825 Bernhard Wilhelm Litfass
Population: 
Year
Households
Population
Total
Male
Female
1767
58
191
 
 
1769
54
195
104
91
1773
51
209
111
98
1788
 
224
 
 
1798
 
306
 
 
1816
 
314
 
 
1834
 
594
 
 
1850
 
952
 
 
1857
 
 
 
 
1859
 
1,176
 
 
1889
 
2,180
 
 
1897
 
2,050*
1,011
1,039
1904
 
2,467
 
 
1910
 
3,847
 
 
1912
 
3,735
 
 
1920
457**
2,770
 
 
1922
 
1,790
 
 
1926***
349
1,850
753
997
1931
 
1,988
 
 

*Of whom 2,037 were German.
**Of which 454 households were German.
***Of whom 1,844 were German (347 households: 850 male & 994 female).

Sources: 

- Beratz, Gottieb. The German colonies on the Lower Volga, their origin and early development: a memorial for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first German settlers on the Volga, 29 June 1764. Translated by Adam Giesinger (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1991): 353.
- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- Orlov, Gregorii. Report of Conditions of Settlements on the Volga to Catherine II, 14 February 1769.
- Pallas, P.S. Reise durch verschiedene Provinzen des Russischen Reichs. Theil 3,2, Reise aus Sibirien zurueck an die Wolga im 1773sten Jahr (St. Petersburg: Kaiserl. Academie der Wissenschaften, 1776): 609.
- Pleve, Igor R. The German Colonies on the Volga: The Second Half of the Eighteenth Century, translated by Richard Rye (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2001): 319.
- Preliminary Results of the Soviet Census of 1926 on the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (Pokrovsk, 1927): 28-83.
- "Settlements in the 1897 Census." Journal of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (Winter, 1990): 17.

Map showing Straub (1935).

Straub Lutheran church built in 1875.
Source: Heimatbuch der Deutschen aus Rußland, 1972.

Former German houses in Straub (August 2003).
Source: Sharon White.

Map of Straub as of 1891.
Drawn by the Rev. J.C. Schwabenland.

This map overlays several maps that show the location of Straub (top) before and after the inundation of the Volga Reservoir in 1961.
Source: Vladimir Kakorin.

Latitude: 49.800953
Longitude: 8.737844
Latitude: 50.901211
Longitude: 8.671770
Latitude: 50.273889
Longitude: 9.095000
Latitude: 49.924011
Longitude: 8.951480
Latitude: 49.709602
Longitude: 7.916762
Latitude: 49.924011
Longitude: 8.951480
Latitude: 49.924011
Longitude: 8.951480
Latitude: 50.406628
Longitude: 8.490493
Latitude: 50.520483
Longitude: 8.579197
Latitude: 49.959361
Longitude: 8.958897

Immigration Locations