Zion German Congregational Church - Lincoln
In 1900, First German Congregational Church granted the Rev. E.C. Osthoff and some forty families letters of dismissal to organize the German Congregational Zion Church. A building was constructed at 4th and "F" Streets. In 1927, Zion put up a new building at 9th and "D". In 1997, Zion merged with Covenant Presbyterian Church to form Zion Presbyterian (PCA). On 9 June 2007, the former Zion Congregational building at 9th and "D" was destroyed by fire.
A new facility was built at 5511 South 27th St.
A daughter congregation of Zion is Redeemer Presbyterian Church which occupies the building formerly home to the congregation of Faith United Church of Christ (also a historically Volga German parish).
4th and "F"
9th and "D"
Zion Presbyterian Church
5511 South 27th Street
Lincoln, NE 68512
The following pastors have served Zion German Congregational Church:
George J. Schmidt
George H. Graf (1916-1918)
Stu Kerns, Senior Pastor (1990-)
Keith Ghormley, Associate Pastor (2008-)
- First German Congregational Church (Nebraska State Historical Society)
- "Liste der Deutschen Kongregationalen Gemeinden." Illustrierter Kirchenbote Kalender 1926 (Redfield, SD: Redfield College Press, 1926): 65-71.
- "Namenliste der Prediger und ihre Adressen." Illustrierter Kirchenbote Kalender 1926 (Redfield, SD: Redfield College Press, 1926): 76-79.
The parish records of ministerial acts (baptisms, marriages, burials) for Zion Congregational Church covering the years 1900-1966 are available on microfilm at the Nebraska State Historical Society.