Engels, Saratov Oblast, Russia

Names: 
Engels, Saratov Oblast, Russia
Kazakstadt
Kazakenstadt
Kosakstadt
Kosakenstadt
Pokrovsk
Pokrowsk
Kasakenstadt
Энгельс, Сара́товская о́бласть
Покровск
History: 

When the Volga German colonies were founded, Engels was known as Pokrovsk. It was a commercial center located on the left bank of the Volga River across from Saratov.

Pokrovsk was founded in 1747 by ethnic Ukranians, and it is referred to as the Pokrovsk Ukranian Quarter in the 1798 Census of the Volga German colonies.

Over the years, Pokrovsk became the center of much of the German culture on the Volga and was known by the German name of Kasakenstadt. It had a population of 22,000 in 1897.

In 1924, Pokrovsk became the capital of the Volga German Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic and in 1931 was renamed in honor of Friedrich Engels. It is still called Engels today.

In 1965, a bridge was constructed across the Volga River to connect Engels to Saratov.

Population:

Year
Population
Total / German
1889
20,426 / 625
1897
21,599 / ??
1904
27,500 / 4,125
1910
29,600 / 3,316
1913
33,867 / 3,892
1923
30,025 / 3,256
1926
34,345 / 4,133
1935
57,078 / ??
1941
73,200 / 13,458
Sources: 

- Diesendorf, V.F. Die Deutschen Russlands : Siedlungen und Siedlungsgebiete : Lexicon. Moscow, 2006.
- The German Settlements in the USSR before 1941 [in Russian]. Moscow, 2002.

Pre-Volga Origin

Map showing Engels (1935).

Pokrovsk sawmills in 1928.
Photo courtesy of the Deutsches Bundesarchiv.

Bridge over the Volga River between Saratov and Engels.
Photo courtesy of Jens Althoff.

Rendering of the Lutheran Church in Pokrovsk.
Source: Jorge Bohn.

German Archives Building in Pokrovsk (1928).
Source: oldsaratov.ru

Latitude: 49.466667
Longitude: 11.000000
Latitude: 51.056111
Longitude: 12.555000
Latitude: 49.725001
Longitude: 8.610976
Latitude: 49.230319
Longitude: 8.963611