Dubuque, Barton/Russell Co., Kansas

Names: 
Dubuque, Barton/Russell Co., Kansas
History: 

The unincorporated community of Dubuque is located on the border of Barton and Russell Counties. It was Polish immigrants who settled the area following the Civil War. Volga Germans settled in the area shortly thereafter, coming from Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

St. Catherine's Catholic Church was built there in the 1870s and served primarily the early Polish immigrants and their descendatns. The current structure was built in 1901, and remains a functioning parish. There is also a Catholic cemetery across the road from the church.

Immanuel Lutheran Church was constructed three miles north of the Catholic church, and most of the Volga Germans in the area attended there. A school was also built near the Lutheran Church. Only the cemetery remains across the road from the ruins of the Lutheran Church.

Volga German Congregations: 

Immanuel Lutheran Church
St. Catherine's Catholic Church

Surnames: 
Volga German Families: 

The following Volga German families are known to have settled in and around Dubuque:

Anschutz from Nieder-Monjou
Betz
Bisterfeldt
Galliart
Kaufman
Meier
Miller
Steinle

Volga Colonies: 
Resources: 

Pre-Volga Origin

Ruins of Immanuel Lutheran Church near Dubuque, Kansas.
Source: Bill Baumbach.

Ruins of the school near Dubuque, Kansas.
Source: Christina Stark Bontrager.

St. Catherine's Catholic Church near Dubuque, Kansas.
Built in 1901.
Source: Kansas Ghost Towns.

St. Catherine's Catholic Church near Dubuque, Kansas (2002).
Source: FindAGrave.com

Volga Colonies