Baltimore (Locust Point), Maryland

History: 

Most Volga German immigrants who disembarked from their trans-Atlantic voyage in Baltimore remained their only a short while before moving to other areas of North America. However, several families remained there and settled in the Locust Point Neighborhood southeast of downtown Baltimore.  Most lived along Richardson Street.  The Haspert and Sch(a)echtel families from Köhler are believed to be the first to settle there in 1906.

Most of the Volga German settlers living in Locust Point were employed as dock workers in the nearby Baltimore shipyards.

The faith life of these families revolved around Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church, located at the corner of East Fort and Towson Streets.

Volga German Families: 

The following Volga German families are known to have settled in the Locust Point Neighborhood of Baltimore:

Haspert from Köhler
Heim from Pfeifer
Heinrich from Hildmann
Holman from Volmer
Kemmer(er) from Leichtling
Kloster from Semenovka
Köhler from Köhler
Leich(t)ling from Leichtling
Mildenberger from Köhler
Mollentor from Marienfeld
Mossman from Degott
Sch(a)echtel from Köhler
Schamberger from Hildmann

Sources: 

- Parish records of Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church.

Resources: 

- Cedar Hill Cemetery, Brooklyn Park, Anne Arundel Co., Maryland.
- Glen Haven Memorial Park, Glen Burnie, Anne Arundel Co., Maryland.
- Holy Cross Cemetery, Brooklyn Park, Anne Arundel Co., Maryland.

Pre-Volga Origin

Volga Colonies