Caro, Tuscola Co., Michigan
Volga German immigrants from Kind and Susannental settled in Caro.
Many Volga Germans came to the Caro area to work in the sugar beet industry. In May 1901, German Russians from Nebraska were brought to the Caro area to work in the sugar beet fields. A sugar beet plant had been constructed in Caro in 1899, and in 1906, it became part of the newly formed Michigan Sugar Company. In 2002, Michigan Sugar became a cooperative, and is currently owned and operated by the local sugar beet farmers.
Zion Lutheran Church
The following Volga German families are known to have settled in and around Caro:
Holzworth from Reinwald
- Daenzer, Rod Stewart. "One Hundred Years of Sugar Beets and Michigan Sugar Company." (online)
- Pickelhaupt, Bill. The Volga Germans of Michigan's Thumb (Fort Gratiot, MI: Flyblister, 2009): 6, 13.
Indian Fields Township Cemetery (findagrave.com)