McCook, Red Willow Co., Nebraska
McCook had been platted in 1882 when the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad reached the area. It was named after Alexander McDowell McCook, and Union General during the Civil War.
Colonists from Frank were the first to settle in McCook. They came as railroad workers in 1892. Others arrived from Kutter and Hussenbach and soon there were about 100 families living there.
First Congregational Church
Peace Lutheran Church
Over the years, the following Volga German families are known to have settled in and around McCook:
Brehm from Norka
Krieger from Norka
Schlager from Merkel
Walker from Norka
Yost from Norka
- Sallet, Richard. Russian-German Settlement in the United States (Fargo, ND: North Dakota Institute for Regional Studies, 1974): 44.