Woodward, Woodward Co., Oklahoma

Names: 
Woodward, Woodward Co., Oklahoma
History: 

The town of Woodward was established at the time of the Cherokee Strip Land Rush in 1893. Today it is the largest town and commercial area in the northwest Oklahoma region.

A tornado hit Woodward on the evening of 9 April 1947, destroying more than 1,000 homes and businesses and killing at least 107 people in and around Woodward. Another tornado struck 14 April 1912.

Volga German families were part of the 1893 Land Rush and obtained land in Woodward County.

Volga German Congregations: 

Trinity Lutheran Church

Volga German Families: 

The following are known to have settled in and around Woodward:

Becker
Dewald
Ehrlich from Shcherbakovka
Eichman
Faust from Shcherbakovka
Fehrer / Feerer
Feil / Fiel
Grantz from Shcherbakovka
Laubhan from Shcherbakovka
Lochmann
Oblander from Shcherbakovka
Peil
Riffel from Shcherbakovka
Schneider
Stricker from Shcherbakovka
Winter / Winters from Shcherbakovka
Zitzmann / Sitzmann

Volga Colonies: 
Sources: 

James, Louise Boyd. "Woodward," Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture (www.okhistory.org)

Resources: 

Elmwood Cemetery (FindAGrave)

Pre-Volga Origin

Woodward - Main Street (1910)

Woodward Train Depot (abt 1910).
Destroyed in 1947 tornado.

Woodward Tornado (1947).

Volga Colonies

Latitude: 49.016667
Longitude: 12.083333
Latitude: 50.330000
Longitude: 9.198333
Latitude: 49.100285
Longitude: 8.973628
Latitude: 48.979669
Longitude: 8.988072
Latitude: 50.450000
Longitude: 9.916667
Latitude: 50.450000
Longitude: 9.916667