Heinrich Barthelmeß, son of Hans Barthelmeß & Anna Margaretha Künrich, was born in about 1660 in the German village of Wüstensachsen. He married 21 January 1690 in Gersfeld to Eva Richter, daughter of Hans Richter & Magdalena Hechenhan. Eva Richter had been baptized in Gersfeld on 7 August 1668. Heinrich died and was buried in Dresselhof on 16 September 1738. Eva died there on 9 July 1740.
The famlies of two of their sons settled in the Volga German colony of Walter on 10 September 1767. They had arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 14 September 1766 aboard a ship under the command of Skipper Reders.
(1) Friedrich Heinrich Bartolomas was born 5 November 1690 in Gersfeld. He married Anna Raab. They had at least two sons: (1) Nikolaus; and (2) Georg Elias Bartolomas, born 19 January 1727 in Gersfeld. Nikolaus married Katharina (surname unknown). Georg Elias married Veronica Trapp on 10 January 1758. Their first child, Agatha, was born in 12 October 1758. Friedrich Heinrich died in Gersfeld on 29 May 1761. His widow Anna, and these two sons and their families immigrated to Russia.
Veronica Trapp died during the trip and Georg married Elisabeth Schoessler. They are recorded there on the 1767 census of Walter in Household No. 103. Their son Adam Georg, born in Walter, moved to Frank.
(2) Nicolaus Barthelmes, teacher, was born 2 May 1711 in Dresselhof. He married Maria Barbara Heitzenröder. Nicolaus and Maria Barbara both appear to have died before arriving in Walter, as does their son Johann and his family. Son Nicolaus Bartholomäus is recorded on the 1767 census of Walter in Household No. 17.
Both the Oranienbaum passenger list and the 1767 census of Walter record that both of these Bartholomäus families came from the German village of Gersfeld.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Wt007, Wt010, Wt107.
- Parish records of Gersfeld (Archion.de)
- Pleve, Igor. Bartholoma Family Chart.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 299, 318.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #6436, #6439, #6443, #6490.