Leonhard(t) (Frank & Grimm)
There are two Leonhard families from Sprendlingen who immigrated to Russia:
(1) Johann Conrad Leonhard, a son of Johannes Leonhard & Elisabetha Schäffer, was born 22 February 1729 and baptized on 25 February 1729 in the Evangelical Church of Sprendlingen, today a constituent part of the town of Dreieich, located about 10 kilometers south of Frankfurt am Main, in Hesse.
He married to Rahel Arnould, a daughter of Friedrich Arnould, on 29 July 1755 in the same church. They had four known children, each baptized in Sprendlingen: (1) Johann Friedrich, born 13 May 1756 and baptized 16 May 1756; (2) Conrad, born 19 October 1759 and baptized 21 October 1759; (3) Cyriack, born 8 February 1762 and baptized on 10 February 1762; and (4) Johann Philipp, born 18 December 1764, and baptized 21 December 1764.
Johann Conrad Leonhard and his family emigrated to Russia, departing from Lübeck by the ship Apollo with the skipper Detlov Merberg. On 29 August 1766 the family arrived at the port in Oranienbaum, Russia.
The Leonhards settled in the Volga German colony of Grimm on 1 July 1767. They are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 80, along with the orphan Maria Katharina Schicketantz, a daughter of Johann Georg Schicketantz, who had been born on 29 June 1760 in Sprendlingen.
At the time of 1798 Grimm census, Philipp is recorded in Household No. Gm178 and son Jacob is in Household No. Gm179.
(2) Johann Andreas Leonhardt, son of Johann Heinrich Leonhardt (born 2 February 1700) & Maria Elisabeth Pfaff (18 March 1697 - 22 March 1759), was born 13 March 1723 in Sprendlingen, Isenburg. Andreas and his wife Anna Gertrude arrived with their children at the port in Oranienbaum on 13 September 1766. They settled in the Volga German colony of Frank in 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 40.
Their son Heinrich, a farmer, arrived from Rewal at the port of Oranienbaum on 30 May 1766 aboard the pink Novaya Dvinka under the command of Lieutenant Ivan Perepechin. He settled also settled in Frank and is recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 29.
Widow Anna Maria Leonhardt moved from Frank to Hussenbach before 1798.
This Leonhardt line has been traced back to Johann Wilhelm Leonhardt who was born about 1605 and died in 1681 in Sprendlingen.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Fk011, Fk043, Fk046, Fk099, Fk109, Gm178, Gm179, Hs042.
- Parish records of Sprendlingen (LDS Film No. 1193263).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 84, 423, & 428.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #504, #5029, #5696.