Mai / Maÿ (Balzer)
Christian Maÿ & Anna Elisabeth, daughter of Melchior Krimp (?), married in Lindheim Lutheran Church on 29 January 1766.
They arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 4 July 1766 aboard the galliot Die Fortuna under the command of Skipper Peter Stahl.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Balzer on 18 June 1767. Christian is recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 71 along with his new wife Anna Maria.
Both the Oranienbaum passenger list and the 1767 census record that Christian Mai came from the German region of Isenburg.
- Bonner, Wayne H. Volga German Settlers Identified in Isenburg and Other German Church Records Part I (Gardena, CA: Wayne Bonner, 2007): 13, 34.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Bz025.
- Parish records of Lindheim (LDS Intl Film #1201736).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 93.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #2272.