Franz Max, a farmer, and his family arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 8 August 1766 aboard a ship under the command of Skipper Johann Gottfried Seelender.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Dehler on 1 July 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 4.
The 1767 census records that Franz Max came from the German village of Waterheim in the area of Leiningen.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Dl14, Dl40.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 268.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #3355.