There are two Meier families that settled on 15 June 1767 in Shcherbakovka. It is not known whether they are related to each other. On the 1767 census, both families are recorded as being from Laudenberg.
(1) Leonhard Meier and his family are recorded on the 1767 census of Shcherbakovka in Household No. 20. In 1790, Leonhard's son, Martin, moved from Shcherbakovka to Stephan.
(2) Martin Meier and his family are recorded on the 1767 census of Shcherbakovka in Household No. 26.
Both families immigrated first to Denmark (Schleswig-Holstein), but Leonhard's family went earlier (in 1760). Martin's family arrived in 1762. Both families left at the same time (on 26 April 1763) for Russia. On Danish records, Leonhard is recorded as being from the German village of Hochhausen. Since theses Danish records are often more exact than those in Russia, a link has been made here to Hochhausen for these families.
- Eichhorn, Alexander, Jacob & Mary Eichhorn. The Immigration of German Colonists to Denmark and Their Subsequent Emigration to Russia in the Years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Drukerei und Verlag Steinmeier GmbH & Co. Kg, 2012): 524.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Sv23, Sp06, Mv2774.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet 1764-1767 Band 1 (Goettingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis; 1999): 250-251.