Johann Andreas Metzler, son of Johann Heinrich Metzler & Anna Magdalena Nenner, was born on 27 April 1719 in Langstadt, north of Gross-Umstadt in Hessen. He married first to Elisabetha Catharina Dörr, daughter of Andreas Dörr & Maria Margaretha Daniel, on 17 February 1750 in Groß-Bieberau, southeast of Darmstadt. She had been born there on 6 February 1721.
They had a number of children in Groß-Bieberau including Georg Philipp (born 16 June 1754) and Georg Nicolaus (born 5 February 1757). Elisabetha Catharina died on 15 September 1763, and Andreas remarried in Groß-Bieberau on 4 September 1764 to Anna Barbara Keil, daughter of Johann Keil. They had one son (Johannes, born 13 March 1766) before leaving for Russia.
Andreas Metzler, a farmer, his wife Anna, and children (Philipp, age 12; Johann, age 10; Johann, age ½) arrived from Lübeck at the port in Oranienbaum on 8 August 1766 aboard a ship under the command of Skipper Wiebe Heinrichson.
Son Georg Philipp is recorded on the 1798 census of Dobrinka in Household No. Db45.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Db45.
- Ortsfamilienbuch Groß-Bieberau (online)
- Parish records for Langstadt - LDS Film No. 1340337.
- Parish records for Groß-Bieberau - LDS Film No. 1190548.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #3595.