Johann Valentin Romig, son of Johann Philipp Romig and Margaretha Zimmermann, was born 20 December 1718 in Habitzheim, Hessen-Darmstadt, and died after 1775 in Russia. He married 5 November 1740 in Spachbrücken, Kr. Dieburg, Hessen-Darmstadt to Maria Sophia Maÿ, daughter of Johann Nicolaus Maÿ and Anna Maria Göckel. She was born 7 July 1718 in Spachbrücken, was baptized there on 10 July 1718.
This family settled in the Volga German colony of Grimm where they are recorded on the 1775 census in Household No. 31.
In 1790, Adolf Romig moved from Grimm to Shcherbakovka.
- 1775 Grimm census (No. 31)
- Eichhorn, Alexander, Jacob & Mary Eichhorn. The Immigration of German Colonists to Denmark and Their Subsequent Emigration to Russia in the Years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Drukerei und Verlag Steinmeier GmbH & Co. Kg, 2012): B-1366, B-1367.
- Kohl, Gunnar and Helmut Ramge. Familienbuch Spachbrücken (Darmstadt: Deutsche Ortssippenbücher, 2001): 412.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Gm009, Gm131, Gm169, Sv53, Mv0770.
- Parish records of Spachbrücken (LDS Intl Film #1190550).