VGI Updates

Parlier, Fresno Co., California

Many Volga German families settled in Parlier during its early days.

Reedley, Fresno Co., California

The largest group of German Russians in Reedley are Mennonites, but some Volga German families settled there also.

Sanger, Fresno Co., California

The first Volga Germans to settle in Sanger came from Dreispitz and Shcherbakovka.

Antlers, Garfield Co., Colorado

The small settlement of Antlers, Colorado, was established in 1887 by a corporation composed of the Grass Valley Land and Water Co. and a group of English investors. The corporation's plan for Antlers included five cottages for their employees, a livery stable, town park, general store and a blacksmith shop. The new town was located in what today is the I-70 corridor between Rifle and Silt, on the fringe of Silt Mesa. The corporation and the investors owned most of the land in the Antlers district.

Brighton, Adams Co., Colorado

By the early 1900s Volga Germans from the Russian colonies Frank, Dietel, Dreispitz, Marienfeld, Oberdorf, Shcherbakovka, and Herzog settled in Brighton.

Brush, Morgan Co., Colorado

Many Volga German families came to Brush to work in the sugar beet industry. The factory opened 11 October 1906 in northeast Bruch and operated until 1955. Only the warehouse remains today.

Eaton, Weld Co., Colorado

The town of Eaton is named after Benjamin Harrison Eaton, a pioneer in irrigation that increased agricultural production in the area. With the development of the sugar beet industry in Weld County, many Volga German families moved to the area from Kansas and Nebraska.

Fort Collins, Larimer Co., Colorado

By the early 1900s Volga Germans from the Russian colonies Frank, Dietel, Dreispitz, Erlenbach, Kautz, Merkel, Oberdorf, Pobochnaya, Rosenberg, Shcherbakovka, and Walter settled in Fort Collins. With the constrution of a sugar refinery, Fort Collins became another Northern Colorado link between the sugarbeet industry and Volga Germans. In Fort Collins, the Volga German neighborhood was called Saratow.

Fort Morgan, Morgan Co., Colorado

By the early 1900s Volga Germans from the Russian colonies of Anton, Dobrinka, Frank, Kautz, Kraft, and Yagodnaya Polyana had settled in and around Fort Morgan.